Education & Experience
Elizabeth is an experienced teacher and has a full service legal practice in San Angelo, TX.
New York Law School, New York, NY February 2012, Juris Doctor, cum laude
Activities: Justice Action Center, Affiliate
Publications: “Voluntary Inpatient Psychiatric Hospitalization: ‘Voluntariness’ and Punishment”
Justice Action Center Student Capstone Journal
University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO August 2007
Bachelor of Science in Journalism, Advertising major, Political Science minor
02. LEGAL EXPERIENCE.
Tom Green County, San Angelo, TX
Guardianship Investigating Attorney
- Maintained high quality investigations of cases to complete legal proceedings for the protection of incapacitated persons.
- Filed applications for guardianship of incapacitated persons and represented the best interests of said persons in hearings conducted in county court.
- Analyzed and applied statutory restrictions on guardianship and determined if new cases met the Texas Estates Code standards.
- Collaborated with guardianship taskforce and county commissioners to analyze and address guardianship issues facing the community.
- Taught and implemented procedures to maintain court visitor program to protect existing wards and maintain court actions to successfully protect wards from non-compliant guardians.
- Established creative procedures to manage increasing caseload within budgetary constraints.
Pantano & Gupta, LLC, New York, NY
- Drafted summons and complaints, answers, orders to show cause, oppositions, affidavits and retainer agreements for a general litigation firm.
- Reviewed and edited business contracts and assisted with business licensing cases.
Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund, New York, NY
Graduate Law Clerk
- Researched and wrote memoranda on how to challenge state administrative regulation that discriminates against transsexuals in obtaining medical insurance coverage through a small business.
Mental Hygiene Legal Service, First Judicial Department, New York, NY
- Researched and wrote memoranda on confidentiality in group therapy setting when a treating therapist is an expert witness against patient in proceeding for sex offender management and treatment.
- Researched and wrote memoranda on sex offender entitlement to bifurcated trials.
MFY Legal Services, Inc., Mental Health Law Project, New York, NY
- Drafted pre-hearing memoranda for Social Security Administration hearings regarding denial of benefits.
- Assisted in drafting proposed legislation enabling the indigent, mentally ill to obtain free copies of medical records.
03. LAW SCHOOL EXPERIENCE.
Professor Nadine Strossen (Former President, American Civil Liberties Union)
- Researched First Amendment issues, including college and university campus hate speech codes and international legislation and treaties regulating speech abroad.
- Assisted marking and grading law students’ final exams.
04. BAR ADMISSIONS.
Texas State Bar (2013) |New York State Bar (2012)